Wednesday, July 7, 2010

If I can Quit ... Anyone Can!!!

I found this essay on Lifestyle website posted by Ada Noll from Cedar Rapids, IA.

It really sums up some of my feelings from the last year as well …

Gone are the days of wearing the scent Eau Du Cigarette Smoke, and gone are the days of breathless stair climbs.

I celebrated the one year anniversary of my last cigarette on February 23, 2007.

I will admit that I did not have a clue as to how much smoking had become an integral part of my life. There were cravings when I drove, after I ate something, or when I was stressed. I soon realized that every occasion in my life was made just for smoking!

Honestly, the worst part of withdrawals was the first three months. There were days I thought I had turned narcoleptic. There were days that I feared for everyone's safety. My mood swings were in overdrive, and I was more irritable than not.

But waking up in the morning is so much fresher and easier. Not only does my pillowcase smell of my hair, but I wake up minus that oh-so-sexy hacking up of a lung. I no longer have to smoke a cigarette to feel awake.

There is more time in the mornings to do things. I can exercise with ease now. I no longer have to plan my life around a cigarette!

Quitting smoking naturally is not impossible. First you must decide that you want to quit. The biggest obstacle you have is yourself.

There are countless non-smoking aides on the market, but the best tool you can have on your side is your determination to quit! You will undoubtedly fail if you truly do not want to stop smoking.

I have found that trying to understand my addiction has helped me remain smoke-free. I suggest keeping a journal. Record your cravings. When do you want to smoke? What makes you want to smoke at that time? Is it out of habit? Are you nervous or anxious?

I smoked often in the car. I smoked in bars and restaurants. I realized that having a cigarette eased my stress and social anxieties. I fidget a lot in public now. At first I was embarrassed. I realized that I felt silly not having something to do with my hands. I did not know what to do with them. For a number of months, I ended up shredding hundreds of napkins. I didn't even realize I was doing it until it was time to leave. My friends would tease me, but it was worth it. In time I was more comfortable and able to leave the napkins alone.

I also found that when I was bored I grabbed a cigarette. If I was driving, I would smoke to pass the time. Now I listen to music and sing, or I chew sugar-free gum.

Another reason why I wanted to continue smoking was because I was afraid of gaining weight. It is true; you will miss the oral fixation. I suggest trying sugar-free candies or chewing gum. Drinking a lot of ice water helps too. I’m not sure why, but drinking water seemed to curb my cravings for both nicotine and sweets. I have spoken to several other reformed smokers, and they have had the same experience.

Exercising will also help with the cravings, and will also help burn off the extra calories if you are consuming more. Chances are you will probably find yourself losing weight since it is easier to breathe during exercise.

There will be discomfort. There will be lack of sleep, too much sleep, nervousness, irritability, just to name a few! You will want to smoke while drinking your morning coffee or during your commute to work.

Your addiction to smoking and your habitual behaviors do not have to rule your life. Make a decision to stop. Make the decision to be pro-active about your health!

Think positively. Think about laughing without coughing. Think about how much better you will smell. Think about your life and how you want to live it.

I promise you, it will be well-worth the short-lived discomfort!

No comments:

Post a Comment